MACY'S SET REVIEW

Once again, I requested samples to review.

PACO RABANNE FAME EDP

Mango, Bergamot
Jasmine, Olibanum
Vanilla, Sandalwood

The bottle reminds me of the brand's cologne, Phantom, which I reviewed on this blog. I was excited to try this because I enjoyed Phantom. However, I have the same complaint about this bottle as I did with Phantom: it's gimmicky.   

The brand describes it as "the covetable new women's perfume that captures the irresistible Parisian spirit of the Rabanne woman. It pays tribute to a new era of femininity. Playful. Sensual. Empowered. The quintessence of avant-garde luxury, this perfume is a blend of exceptionally pure jasmine, succulent mango, and an addictively sensual creamy incense."

The bottle cheapens the vision the brand is trying to push. Would a playful, sensual, and empowered Parisian woman have this on her dresser? No! A tacky American would! You can call yourself avant-garde all you want, but this is not it. 

I mainly smell Mango, Bergamot, Jasmine, and Vanilla. Sweet, fruity, warm, and a little musky. No Olibanum, which is good. Not getting any incense either. It vaguely reminds me of Marc Jacobs Daisy Ever So Fresh EDP because of the sweet mango.

Some reviewers say it reminds them of Alien Goddess by Mugler. I see it, but I disagree. It's not as creamy or sunny/warm because this fragrance lacks coconut and heliotrope. Don't get me wrong, this fragrance definitely has warmth and a creaminess to it, but it's not as extreme as Mugler. The mango note gives this fragrance more of a fruity sweetness. It's lighter, and not as rich and heady. 

I sprayed too much once while trying this, and it gave me such a headache because of its sweetness. 


PACO RABANNE 1 MILLION LUCKY EDT

Plum, Ozonic notes, Grapefruit, Bergamot
Hazelnut, Honey, Cedar, Cashmere Wood, Jasmine, Orange Blossom
Amberwood, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vetiver

On the card, "Hazelnut craving. Cedar that captivates. A prune shot that bites. Exhilarating." I did not know that craving in French is addiction. Choice translations and marketing... An addicting hazelnut seems more authentic to the French and reads/sounds better in English. "A prune shot that bites" doesn't feel appetizing either. It sounds like adding laxatives to a smoothie. 

I know a plain bottle and cap is unexciting, but changing the materiality, mixing materials (see Dries Van Noten,) and utilizing color can create a more intriguing bottle design. You do not need to completely alter form: a lightning bolt, gold ingot, robot, heel, etc. This change in form is at the expense of function. What if there's an issue with the atomizer? Do I have to disassemble the bottle? 

I want GORP fragrance bottles. 

Nutty, woody, musky, fresh, ambery, and slightly sweet. Reminds me of shopping at Abercrombie. Although this smells different from Invictus Platinum, there are similar qualities that I am going to chalk up to the house's DNA. There is a menthol/cool dry-down to both.


GIVENCHY IRRESISTIBLE EDP ROSE VELVET

Black Currant
Rose Water, Rose, Iris
Patchouli, Woodsy Notes

On the card, "Irresistible addiction. The delicate contrast between the note of a velvety rose and warm patchouli."

As a connoisseur of Givenchy fragrance samples, I hate their spray bottles. The atomizer is terrible because it doesn't produce a fine mist; it's more of a jet than a mist that spurts out. In the past, I didn't enjoy EDT Fraiche. I'm not expecting much from the EDP because I'm not a fan of rose. 

I get the blackcurrant; perfume opens up tart. The rose is creamy, musky, and quite lux. A rosier Prada Paradoxe. Subtle iris comes through after a while. It's gentle and refreshing. A nice reprieve from the loud, musky rose. Has a bit of tea quality. 

I've worn the perfume several times, but still can't determine whether it's too mature or just right for me. The musky rose is quite overpowering and ages me. Tart black currants and musky rose aren't a great pairing. It's like when your grandma's cat pisses on her rose bushes. Once it passes, it's lighter and slightly more pleasant, but still not all that enjoyable.


JOHN VARVATOS EDT

Leather, Amber, Tamarind, Dates, Balsam Fir, Vanilla, Herbal Notes, Caramel, Olibanum, Hay, Agarwood (Oud),  Styrax

"A bold, modern, and sophisticated scent with a refined, masculine intrigue."

I've never seen this fragrance or brand before. (I'm still new to perfume.) It's always exciting for me to discover new brands and new notes. So far, I've never smelled tamarind or dates in perfume before. I'm expecting this fragrance to be very intense and manly. Leather, amber, balsam-y/resinous, smoky, incense-y, woody. The tamarind will be tart and sweet.

Oh, so this is what most men wear... Definitely smelled this before, so if you're looking for unique fragrances, there are other options.

Smoky, woody, resinous, ambery, and a little spicy/sour (hurts my nose slightly.) The olibanum is rearing its ugly head. Not a fan.

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!