MACY'S COLOGNE REVIEWS | BAD BOY, PHANTOM, K

I saw a Macy's ad on Instagram that said you can try a bunch of samples and ate that up immediately. Thank you, SoPost, for the samples. Sadly, they sent two Dolce & Gabbana fragrances... I have to admit, I do like Light Blue, but, as a Chinese-American, I do not want to support D&G. If you're out of the loop, one of the co-founders made some racist remarks, and the brand had a racist ad. 

Anyway, there will be a separate post for the perfumes they sent me. I've been getting many more colognes lately, so that's fun. I don't know whether I'll use it, but it's good to know what to recommend. I hope my co-workers don't ask me why I smell like a man. 


Bad Boy Cobalt by Carolina Herrera

Pink Pepper, Lavender
Plum, Geranium
Truffle, Vetiver, Cedarwood

I like it. Definitely "aromatic, woody fruity, contrasted and energizing" as advertised. I'm picking up a little lavender, a little plum, and this woody, earthiness, which I assume is from the truffle. Never had truffle, so I don't know what it smells or tastes like. There is also a fresh, greenness. The longevity is not ideal, about 3-5 hours. I'm not excited about the dry-down because it is so unexciting and one-dimensional compared to its opening. That's unfortunate because who wants to carry around this bottle, or travel size, to touch up on throughout the day? I expect more and better from an EDP. 

The bottle. Carolina Herrera is known for having quirky bottles; her Good Girl fragrance is in a high-heel bottle. This bottle is so ugly. That little foot on the bottom to keep the whole this upright ruins the bottle and its effect. Be like Mugler's Angel and just have it lie on a flat surface or in a bowl. 

These gimmicky cologne bottles need to stop. To target young men like this...


Phantom (EDT) by Paco Rabanne

Lavender, Lemon Zest, Amalfi Lemon
Lavender, Apple, Smoke, Earthy Notes, Patchouli
Vanilla, Lavender, Vetiver

Completely flips my perspective on colognes. I did not expect it to be this warm and sweet. Although there's the typical cologne smell, like in those paper samples, at first spray, the sweetness and warmth are present from the start. There's brightness from the lemon. There's a sweetness and a slight tartness from the apples. You are hit with calmness from the lavender in the opening. The vanilla is creamy and quite cozy. There is a *mild* smokiness, earthiness, and musk. 

It's overwhelmingly vanilla for me. I don't think there's lavender at every layer, which Fragrantica has listed. The longevity is excellent. 

I disagree with how they market it, "The essence of self-confidence, fueled by feel-good energies. A futuristic aromatic fragrance born from the clash between luxury craftsmanship and new-tech." I cannot see how this is the essence of self-confidence, but I understand the vanilla and lavender giving warmth and feel-good energy. 

As for the new-tech aspect: if you purchase the 100 or 150ml bottle, you can connect your phone to the phantom universe by tapping the bottle. Apparently, they're your new wingman. It's odd, and I don't see the purpose. What need is it filling in the market? Oh, this is my cologne wingman. 

Speaking of the bottle, it's a novelty item and gimmicky. I see hype-beast/collector guys having this bottle on wherever they display fragrances. It's an art piece! And if they have girls over, and that's not likely, they would hide this. They're probably a mama's boy or have mommy issues. You want that warmth and support. 

If I smelled this on a guy, I would assume he was just at his mom's or girlfriend's house because he smells like vanilla candles, white furniture, and furry throw pillows. 


K (EDT) by Dolce & Gabbana

Juniper Berries, Citruses, Blood Orange, Sicilian Lemon
Pimento, Lavender, Clary Sage, Geranium
Vetiver, Cedar, Patchouli

I am saying this completely unbiased and unaffected by my personal opinions of the brand: I do not like it. 

I got punched in the face with citruses and the juniper that reminds me of Baie 19 by Le Labo. There's a green herbaceousness from the lavender, geranium, and sage(?). I am not a fan of the base or any layers, as a matter of fact. I think it's the pimento I'm not a fan of; not really sure it works with the other middle notes. 

It's boring and kind of cheap. I'm sure there are drugstore body washes with this scent. It's a better shower gel than a signature scent. I have an epiphany: a douchebag fresh out of the shower. It can also be the stereotypical Italian-American in the New York Metro area. Gabagool.

The bottle, specifically the cap, is tacky. I know it calls back to previous D&G collections. I know this because I used to like D&G before the controversy. Everyone remembers the floral motifs, the crowns, the gold, etc. If you're going clean and simple, stay that way. The K with the crown is also hideous. And smack-dab in the center, too! I do not care if graphic design is your passion; you need to give up on that pipe dream. 


Of the three, Phantom is my favorite, then Bad Boy, and then K. Phantom is a fun, cozy F/W cologne that I think women can also pull off/would like. Bad Boy is an S/S daytime fragrance that can't hold up against warmer climates. K is very low brow, IMO. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!