SALTAIR DEODORANT UPDATE


The first Saltair deodorant I tried was Seascape, which is supposed to have notes of grapefruit, ylang-ylang, and white sand. If you read my review of it and the brand's lotions, you'll know I wasn't a fan of the scent. There's an unpleasant old, dirty, and powdery musk quality. 

I purchased a different scent, Lush Greens, from Amazon. It's supposed to have notes of palm leaves, juicy pear, lily, and teakwood. It seems the most subtle and least likely to clash with my fragrances. 

Sadly, I encountered the same unpleasant/musty scent quality; the advertised notes are undetectable. This is probably an issue with the deodorant base itself. If you're a fan of one scent and want a complete set, just know the deodorant won't be the most authentic representation of your faves/trying deodorants is not the best way to explore the brand's scent offerings.

Although the scent isn't my cup of tea, the product design is outstanding! I am shocked by how well the twisting mechanism is holding up. I can still twist the stick of deodorant up and down! I've turned Secret and Dove deodorant bars to the top before, which messed up the mechanism, but I don't have that issue with Saltair. 

You only encounter issues with the mechanism when you're almost done with the product. The product slips out of the cartridge. That's to be expected when you're at the end of the product's lifespan, but there is still a significant amount of product left. Look!

As of late, I'm not as stinky as I used to be. (Have I still not convalesced from Covid?) When I first tried this product, I would end up pretty musky by the end of the day. I would wash my armpits with Benzoyl Peroxide to counteract that, which helped. Now, I don't need Benzoyl Peroxide, and I smell acceptable at the end of the day. However, if I was anxious and sweated a lot, I stank more. The deodorant can work for most people, but it's not bulletproof. From my experience, it performs better during cooler weather. Sea Scape also seems to perform better than Lush Greens. 

An ongoing issue I have with deodorants: they stain my clothes. My scrubs have these LARGE, DARK stains. My white shirts have yellowed around the armpits. 


My one complaint:

I wish the brand sold refills on Amazon. Some people might be testing the brand for the first time, so they would want to have the carton, but there are return customers, too. Is it a matter of storage? Doubt it because Saltair is fulfilling the orders, so the products aren't in an Amazon warehouse with other products.

Where is the sustainability ethos? The carton still works, and I want to purchase a refill, which is what the brand designed, so where's the option? 


Since writing this post in March, Saltair has released a serum deodorant. They included this graphic in their email. 

If the serum deodorant used BHAs instead, I would be more inclined to try it. So far, it seems like other acidic roll-on deodorants I've tried from Kosas or Necessaire. I like that it's oil-free, which means less staining, but you can't refill it. How about making the roll-on portion of the packaging removable? 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!