STINKY, SWEATY GIRL REVIEWS NECESSAIRE'S DEODORANT GEL


I know I sweat and smell bad, but sometimes it surprises me just how much I sweat. It's definitely because of anxiety! Why can't I be like other Asians that don't smell?! Why must I have wet earwax? 

To illustrate my excessive sweating: the pools in my pits have branched out and flowed down my arms on several occasions... 

While the amount of sweat I produce shocks me, I don't want to use antiperspirants for kidney-related reasons, so I am always hunting for a good "natural" deodorant. Also, sweating is a normal, healthy bodily function that I don't want to prevent. If it's blocked in my armpits, it'll come out somewhere else.

Y'all already know how I feel about a couple of deodorants and the rollerball. 

Well, I got another rollerball gel! I was so stinky from the Kosas I HAD to switch. I hated smelling myself and feared people catching a whiff of me.

About the Product

I picked Necessaire's (too lazy to add the accent) gel deodorant because I like that they're climate-neutral/brand. The product is a gel (I don't have to worry about stains;) it has acids (it has a pH of 4 and should help with fighting bacteria;) it's free of aluminum, baking soda (no irritation,) and parabens. I purchased the fragrance-free version because I think I am allergic to fragrances. I know, the irony! A perfume blogger that's allergic to perfume. The fragrance-free version smells really chemically, like hair dye. 

I try to limit fragrance in my other products to indulge in perfumes... Also, despite being a fan of Eucalyptus, I didn't purchase the Eucalyptus version because it will clash with whatever perfume I try. 

Besides deodorizing, the product claims to address uneven tone and texture, but that's not my first concern. 

It has 5% AHAs and is a quick-dry clear liquid ideal for light-to-normal odor control. Oof. Just light to normal? I decided against the cream, despite the company claiming better odor control because it had a low rating on Sephora, and I worry the cream will stain my dark clothes. 

It's $15 for 50 ml / 1.7 fl oz v Kosas $15 for 70 mL / 2.4 fl oz, so you get a little less product for the same price, but it comes in a glass bottle. 

Testing

I originally structured this post like a diary entry for a month, but it's too long. This is a summary of what went down.

At first, I struggled to get the rollerball to glide easily. It catches, but not on hair! The deodorant was promising at first because I didn't notice any smell throughout the day. The first couple of days, I only applied at night after a shower to see how well it holds up. 

It doesn't hold up well; I have to reapply in the morning before heading out the door, which I'm not a fan of because my armpits aren't as clean as when they are fresh out of the shower, lingering bacteria gets on the rollerball, etc. It doesn't seem sanitary. Even after reapplying in the morning, I still got stinky at the end of the day.

During the experiment, I discovered one armpit (my left) smells worse than the other... WebMD is scaring me.

Whether commuting, attending class, going to work, or just relaxing at home, I always get a little musty and stinky. Even after waxing (I thought perhaps if the product is on bare, clean skin, it would work better), it still didn't work for me.

One thing that helped mask the odor is Ylang 49 from Le Labo, but the full bottle is expensive, so it's not a tactic I will regularly employ.

DO: cover your stench with strong perfumes.

The next test I did was showering in the afternoon and applying the deodorant after. This only gave about 8 hours of coverage...

The last test I did was washing my armpits with The Inkey List's BHA. This helps a little, but irritated my armpits.

DO: use PanOxyl or BHA to help with odor.

I'm disappointed this product didn't work because I wasted some money. The next deodorant I plan on reviewing is Crystal's deodorant stone. I've previously used the invisible solid deodorant, which didn't work. I might also review Native in the future, but I've seen bad reviews where people have rashes, and I don't want to stain my clothes. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!