19-69'S CAPRI AND VILLA NELLCOTE REVIEW

In 2017, Johan Bergelin, a Swedish artist and product developer, launched 19-69. The brand stands for freedom, tolerance, and counterculture. Each fragrance is inspired by iconic moments of counterculture throughout history. 

The perfumes come in various sizes: 100ml, 50ml, and 10ml. The prices vary for each size and scent. They also have Liquide Parfumé Pour Les Mains, a hand sanitizing spray, candles in different sizes, some apparel, and discovery sets. 

I am reviewing samples/decants I purchased from Lucky Scent a couple of months ago... Also, these dabber vials cannot compare to sprays. So read my review with an extra grain of salt.   

On a perfume-unrelated note, the shop's website is absolute trash. The logo blocks the links in the drop-down menu. I expect more from a product developer. 


Villa Nellcôte

Grapefruit, Bergamot, Petitgrain, Pink Pepper, Elemi, Lemon, lemon flower
Violet Leaf, Rose Petals, Jasmine, Magnolia Flower, Osmanthus, Black Tea Infusion
Cabreuva, Cedarwood, Patchouli, White Amber, Musk, Moss, Guaiac Wood

Villa Nellcôte is located in Villefranche-sur-Mer, France, where The Rolling Stones recorded Exile on Main St. This perfume embodies the garden and surroundings of the estate.

Clean, soapy, and citrusy with the slightest hint of baby powder and sourness on my skin. 

I tried it again, and thankfully, there was no sourness. Still super clean smelling with a bouquet of gentle flowers. I can't discern any of the notes individually.

The perfume is unisex but leans more feminine. Reminds me of Blanche by Byredo with how clean it smells but without the headache-inducing aldehydes. The perfume's longevity isn't that great; I couldn't smell it midway into and after work. The sillage is also weak. That may also be because I'm fairly conservative with how much perfume I apply/the dabber is not great. 

Because of the Blanche similarities, I still picture the same person: white t-shirt, light-blue jeans, white shoes, and some gold jewelry. The difference would be the person that wears 19-69 perfumes is cooler: they know all the best places in the city, have elite taste, and are open to trying new things/supporting up-and-coming designers. Unfortunately, they might be a hype-beast. 


Capri

Mandora, Bitter Orange, Sweet Orange, Chamomile, Cardamom, Pink Pepper, Sichuan Pepper, Juniper Berries, Mandarine Oil, Mandarine Leaves Oil
Galbanum, Jasmine Alcoolat, Osmanthus Alcoolat, Ylang Ylang Extract Oil
White Musk, Ambroxan, Angelica Seeds, Orris

Inspired by the settings of Villa Malaparte and the iconic film Le Mépris (1963), which was filmed on the Isle of Capri, this perfume is "edgy, fresh, light yet comforting."

Capri is an herby/green fragrance with bitterness and spiciness that smells like laundry powder. When I first smelled it, I thought of Nishane's Wulong Cha because of its clean, greenness.

Beautiful floral heart notes that remind me of cotton and linen. I think I'm picking up on Jasmine and Ylang Ylang because they have a seductive muskiness. 

The dry down is so addictively fresh and clean. I could not stop smelling myself.

Is this what it's like to smell clean? Is this how you non-wet earwax, no armpit musk people live? 

I'm envious.

This is a gender-neutral fragrance. It leans ever-so-slightly feminine, but I think it's unisex. Anyone can smell clean or like laundry detergent! The sillage isn't great, and neither is the longevity. 

I can't describe what the person would look like, but I have an interior design that fits this scent quite well: minimalist Japandi. 

This perfume reminds me of houses featured on The Local Project Youtube channel.

While it's a beautiful fragrance, its sillage and longevity are abysmal. 

****

The perfume brand is a waste on me because I can't pick out the notes really well. Look at the list of top notes! There are at least seven for each of them. This could be a pro or con. Everything is skillfully blended and harmonious, or it's wasteful to use all these notes because you can't pick out most of them.

Their compositions are similar: citrus top, floral heart, and musky/woody base. I could have done a better job selecting more varied perfumes, but these two stood out the most. 

I don't think I'll purchase more 19-69 samples in the future unless I try them in-store. Many of their fragrances have Cannabis notes, and I'm not the biggest fan of how weed smells, so I won't be trying that. 

If you're a stoner, check this brand out! Don't look at their website when you're high because that sounds like a terrible experience. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!