CRYSTAL MINERAL DEODORANT STICK REVIEW | STINKY APPROVED

You want THIS!

I railed on Crystal in the past, and I take most of that back because I quite like their mineral deodorant stick/actual crystal deodorant. I purchased the travel size so I wouldn't waste too much money, like with Necessaire or Kosas
NOT this.

There is one ingredient: Potassium Alum (Mineral Salts)

But I thought you said you don't want an antiperspirant/deodorant with aluminum.

According to Eco Collective:

Yes, alum stones are a safe and effective natural deodorant. It is important to note that they are made of potassium alum which is a different chemical compound than the aluminum found in conventional deodorants, and they do not possess the same health risks. Regular antiperspirant deodorants usually contain either Aluminum Chloride, Chlorohydrate or Zirconium, all of which have health concerns. Potassium alum on the other hand is a mineral salt with a large molecular structure that sits on the surface of your skin rather than being absorbed. It is not a heavy metal and has not been linked to breast cancer or Alzheimers. 

For a more scientific/reputable source, check Healthline for the same conclusion and more information.

The very first time I used it, I noticed some mustiness and a lot of sweating.

A couple of days later, I didn't notice that strong of a smell. I can't detect my Post Malone Musk in all its glory. No vomiting. 

Although it provides decent odor protection, I still have some issues. 

You have to have a lot of faith. You can't see the product on your armpits, so you gotta keep rubbing it until you think there's enough. I guess there's a lot of room for "user error," I guess. And when you're applying, it feels a little dry, even if you're fresh out of the shower and misted the top of the stone with a little more water. I expected a more watery, gliding texture.

Another issue, my armpits have darkened a little! It's not my hair/five o'clock shadow because it's a beige/tan color. I can see this demarcation in color between my armpit and non-armpit skin. I hope it fades away/resolves itself soon/doesn't get worse. It's not an unbearable sting or itch, but I do experience some of this irritation. It might also be due to ingrown hairs. It was irritating for a week, but then it resolved itself. My armpits were still a little discolored, though.

The second to last issue, which I haven't encountered yet, it works best on hairless armpits (see the Healthline link.) My armpits are still pretty smooth from my last wax, but it's not gonna stay that way. I have to go through my awkward grow-out phase before waxing again. I need to have another deodorant on deck just for my hairy days?! 

Sure, this deodorant is cheap and I can buy another deodorant with the money I saved, but I don't want to constantly buy two deodorants for separate occasions

That's such a first-world problem.

I just want one great deodorant because it's convenient and cost-effective.

The last issue, which I also haven't encountered yet, is that the stone will develop an odor (see Healthline again)... I'm only using this once a day right out of the shower. Why will it develop an odor? 


7/23/22 Update:

The Crystal Deodorant does not work well on hairy armpits. My Necessaire deodorant has this reddish-brown sediment on the bottom of the bottle. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!