FINISHED DECANTS OCTOBER - DECEMBER 2023

SANTA MARIA NOVELLA ANGELS OF FLORENCE

Peach, Orange
Marine Notes, Jasmine, Blackcurrant
Musk, Sandalwood, Vanille

Sweet jasmine with light marine notes with a bright and airy quality. The blackcurrant is subtle; I didn't smell the first couple of times, but noticed it the further I got. The blackcurrant smells old. Distinctly berry with a musk that's gone slightly off and a light wood in the far back. 

It smells like a typical mainstream/mass-marketed fragrance that people will like. For a music comparison, Dua Lipa's music. I enjoy her songs when I hear them on the radio, but I don't actively seek out her music. It becomes annoying after repeatedly trying the fragrance/hearing the same song on different stations. 

It feels wrong to wear it during cooler weather because it screams S/S and sunlight. Average longevity. Lasts much longer on clothes but dissipates quickly with long sleeves or a jacket. Intimate to moderate sillage. I sometimes catch a whiff, but no one around me said anything. It dries down to something clean and fresh. It's a pretty summer office fragrance. Again, because of its longevity, it's not a reliable daytime fragrance during the summer when you're sweating, commuting, or running errands.

Conventionally attractive. Girl next door. Soft facial features, plush lips, button nose, and doe-like eyes. 


FREDERIC MALLE VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE

bergamot, bitter orange, pink pepper
vetiver, cashmeran, cedar, sandalwood
oak-moss, musk

I typically despise Vetiver. As an example, read my review of Le Labo Vetiver 46. The grassy smell reminds me of an old, used car. 

I wouldn't have tried it if the sales associate never recommended it. They recommended this because I asked for a fresh, citrusy perfume + steer clear of anything that resembles Musc Ravageur. 

Of the perfumes I tried that day, this was my favorite, so I asked for a sample. It's fresh, grassy, woody, slightly peppery, and clean. I mainly smell citrus, cedar, and oakmoss. The sales associate went on about how the Vetiver from Haiti is the best, but I don't smell it... Doesn't smell like the note I know and hate.

It lasts forever! I sprayed this in the morning (two sprays) and still smell it  8+ hours later. The longevity is an absolute beast. The quality from Frederic Malle partially justifies the price. FYI, the 50 ml is almost $300. The sillage is decent. The perfume is unisex/slightly more masculine-leaning.


FREDERIC MALLE CARNAL FLOWER


Water fruits (melon) + Vegetal notes; Tuberose (fresh aspect)
Tuberose (milky aspect); Musk 

A man-eater perfume, not for the faint of heart. Musky and powerful Lily scent. Thick green stems. Would that be considered vegetal? The water notes must be a myth. The florals exhibit a milky/creamy quality because the perfume smells rich and smooth. It's not milky in the lactonic way I expected from how the brand described it. Again, this perfume is a beast in terms of longevity. I am very conservative with the perfume because it's domineering and overpowering. Few people at work would appreciate it. 


LE LABO YLANG 49

Ylang-Ylang, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Tahitian Gardenia, Vetiver, Benzoin, Sandalwood

It's been over a year, and I finally finished this sample. While writing this post, I realized it was already "finished," per my 2022 post... That's embarrassing. After retrying, I'm glad I didn't bite the bullet and purchase the 15 ml. It's much more heady than I remembered and made me feel nauseous when I wore it to work. Wearing it on the day I worked alone was a good call. Ylang 49's seductive vintage quality is beautiful. Sadly, it doesn't suit me. The longevity is also insane. It has been days since I wore the perfume while typing this, and I still faintly smell it. This is the scent you wear to make an impression and last all day. 

 

VILHELM PARFUMERIE BASILICO & FELLINI

Dragon Fruit, Basil
Violet, Wild Fig
Vetiver, Green Hay

Reiterating: I only smell figs. There is a slight herby vetiver note, but the basil is an invisible and scentless phantom. Creamy, milky, green, and sweet. 


YSL  BLACK OPIUM

Black Coffee, White Flowers, Vanilla

This is my second sample of Black Opium. It's vanilla-forward, sweet, and cozy. Slightly floral, tart, and smokey. No coffee notes. When I smelled it again, I immediately thought of Kayali Vanilla 28. This perfume is very easy to throw on. Every morning, I would spend too much time thinking about which fragrance I wanted to wear, and I'd end up wearing this perfume. It has a universal appeal because of the vanilla, but it can be too sweet for some. 


BORN TO STAND OUT DIRTY RICE

Bergamot, Almond
Basmati Rice, Peony, Milk
Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Musk, Cetalox

Still smells like a coconut rice pudding. I smell the rice more. It's a little nutty, woody, and musky. The floral and lactonic characteristics are the most prominent. The longevity continues to be underwhelming. I can catch a slight whiff at the end of the day, but in five hours, it smells like what a good perfume does after two days. It doesn't want to stay! Truly makes me question the quality of the perfume...


Gave away: 

Womanity Thierry Mugler - I felt nauseous when I smelt it on my mother, to whom I gave the decant.

Tocca Discovery Set.

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!