Short Reviews of Finished Perfume Samples Pt. 2

Parfums de Marly Oriana (Lucky Scent)

Top notes: Mandarin Orange, Grapefruit. Bergamot
Middle notes: Orange Blossom, Raspberry, Black Currant
Base notes: Marshmallow, Whipped cream, Musk, Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

This is a saccharine perfume; the marshmallow note stands out the most. Upon comparing the scent with the scent profile, I smell the citrus: a zing lifts the fragrance. I don't smell each of the citruses because they all blend together. I expect a slight bitterness from the grapefruit, and I'm not getting that. 

It feels like they're trying to temper the sweetness of the marshmallow with some citrus and tart berries, but it's still overpowered by sugar. Absolutely none of the middle notes were detected. Once it settles, you get this creaminess and softness from the whipped cream.

The juxtaposition of this picture and the next fragrances... I have such eclectic tastes.


Le Labo (Purchased Samples from the Store)

Vetiver 46

 
Notes: Olibanum, Tahitian Vetiver, Guaiac Wood, Pepper, Labdanum, Cedar, Cloves, Vanilla, Bergamot

It smells really earthy/woody, smoky, spicy, and singes the nose hairs. It reminds me of old/used cars, clothes in storage for a long time, and pencil shavings. If this is what vetiver smells like, count me out.

Entirely not the refreshing green scent I was hoping for from the name. When I decide to wear it (gotta finish it somehow), I regret it and feel the need to apologize to others for my fragrance journey. This fragrance cements my wariness of olibanum and labdanum. Since it's a linear fragrance, the perfume never transforms. If you don't like it, too bad, you're stuck with it the whole day. 


Thé Noir 29

Top notes: Fig, Bay Leaf, Black Tea, Bergamot
Middle notes: Cedar, Vetiver, Musk
Base notes: Tobacco, Hay

I can't comprehend how rose isn't a note! I get rose and tobacco at first spray, and... I like this perfume, which is surprising because I don't like tobacco/the smell of cigarettes or roses. Honestly, anything after Vetiver 46 is a delight. I enjoy the floral musk. No fear of people cringing away from the smell. I think I'm getting the black tea smell, but I'm not sure. There's this smokiness and depth that I'm attributing to tea. 


Ylang 49

Notes: Ylang-Ylang, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Tahitian Gardenia, Vetiver, Benzoin, Sandalwood

I gravitate towards this beautiful, seductive, and intoxicating fragrance often. It's a musky floral with a lot of depth despite its linear profile. It has great longevity. I sprayed this on my long-sleeved shirt (near the elbow creases and on the chest,) and it lasted for almost 12 hours. I'm not sure what each note smells like, but I think I'm mainly getting Ylang-Ylang and slight gardenia. 

I used to think this fragrance was a little too mature and overpowering for me and too much for college or part-time work, but I can't stop sniffing it and thinking about it. 

When I lay down on my bed and sniff the air, I smell this perfume lingering, and it's so good. When I look at the price... I can't justify that price at the moment. In fact, I don't think I can ever.

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!