ELTA MD UV SKIN RECOVERY SUNSCREEN REVIEW


Thank you, EltaMD, for the samples. Their UV Skin Recovery sunscreen comes in "tinted" and "untinted". It's color-correction rather than a beige tint. Both are SPF 50, 100% mineral filters, suitable for sensitive/post-procedure skin, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, paraben-free, non-comedogenic, and oil-free. 

Both products include EltaMD's patented amino acid complex, cica, and ceramides to reduce redness and strengthen your skin barrier.

The untinted is lightweight and doesn't produce a significant white cast. My skin had a slight dewy glow. It's not heavily fragranced/the sunscreen scent isn't overwhelming when you apply. Unfortunately, it is slightly difficult to rub in evenly: it takes more elbow grease than chemical sunscreens, but much better than the Celimax one I have in my rotation. Pretty great oil control, but that's not something it advertises. 

I wish the brand provided two satchets of each product so I could've tested each line more than once. Opening the satchet and using the remaining contents the next day is risky because the formula's integrity has been compromised. I may not be out in direct sunlight, but the BIG WINDOWS at my workplace concern me. This could just be all in my head, but I think I have freckles and sunspots now. (None of my previous workplaces had windows. I was stuck between four windowless walls for 8 hours a day, which is a blessing and a curse.)

I prefer the green-tinted sunscreen to the untinted one. Perhaps I'm misremembering: the green was easier to blend into the skin. I didn't notice an immediate redness correction. A couple hours after using the sunscreen, my skin does look less red/pink than usual, most noticeably my cheeks and nose, but the folds near my nose didn't have significant improvement. 

The tinted version also offers a subtle glow/dew to the face, too. Both are hydrating without being heavy. I wasn't oily at the end of the day. Very comfortable on the skin without any stickiness. It's matte, but not the weird, sensory-overload silicone-y powdery matte. 

Both formulations and performance are nearly identical, but the tinted is slightly better because of its "extra" benefits. The untinted can also help reduce redness over time by repairing the skin barrier, but the tinted is better for more "instant" results.

If I had a skin procedure done/still worked at a dermatology clinic, I hope to see this product offered. I think it's much more elegant than La Roche-Posay's Anthelios UV Hydra (I'm using this as a point of comparison because it's a dermatologist-recommended brand, and I received samples of this from my dermatology clinic), which has a strong sunscreen odor and is a little oily, heavy, and tacky on the skin. Because of all those cons, I don't want to use it. That's the worst sunscreen: one you won't/don't use. 

While EltaMD has become more popular and well-known by skincare aficionados online, it's not as readily accessible as LRP. I can conveniently buy LRP at Target/drugstores. I have to purchase EltaMD online, and the only way to sample products before I purchase is from Instagram opportunities like this. I've worked at two separate dermatology clinics, and I don't think either of them had EltaMD reps or samples.  

Comments