HERETIC SCANDALWOOD

No-buy restrictions are a joke. I have absolutely no self-control. Vivien 0, Scentbird 1. 

Atlas Cedar, Coriander
Bulgarian Rose
Labdanum, Sandalwood, White Musk

I've been a fan of Dita Von Teese since high school. She was the first person I saw in media rocking vintage/the 40s-50s aesthetic. She made me want to style my hair the same, look into vintage fashion, and just be more glamorous/confident. My glamor is all in theory and not in practice. There have been numerous unsuccessful trials to recreate her pageboy hairstyle.

When Scandalwood was first released, I was really excited to try it. Unclear whether I was already aware of Heretic, but the release of Scandalwood piqued my interest in the brand. 

Heretic is all about clean and natural to "show the provocative side of naturals and the dirty side of clean."  Their fragrances are gender-neutral and have Ayurvedic benefits. Their perfumes don't contain phthalates, parabens, synthetic dyes, or formaldehyde. Their fragrances are vegan and cruelty-free. They are transparent about the need to reapply more often since their perfumes are natural, sheer, light, and without chemical additives to extend wear.

Scandalwood's Ayurvedic properties: coriander heals the heart and intensifies feelings of love; rose is an aphrodisiac that heightens sensuality and opens you to love; sandalwood is a calming aphrodisiac that relaxes the mind and stimulates the heart.

First, I am hit with cedar and rose. Then, the sandalwood becomes more present. It is a smokey and musky fragrance that briefly smells sour/tangy on my skin. It's unclear which note is reacting weirdly with my body chemistry. Cedar is one of my usual suspects (it often smells like pencils,) but Labdanum is a foe I typically avoid. 

The fragrance is reminiscent of Le Labo The Noir 29, (if you squint REALLY hard) By Kilian Black Phantom, and Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. This is most likely because of the cedarwood and sandalwood notes. It's most similar to The Noir 29. It's briefly Black Phantom when it hits my skin. It's a dirtier version of Vetiver Extraordinaire.

This fragrance is incredibly addictive. Can't stop smelling it! It's a beautiful, sensual, and mysterious woody fragrance. Unisex as advertised. Did experience some degree of calm and groundedness after sniffing my arm like a dog. I'm glad I enjoyed this fragrance because there were a lot of negative reviews that lowered my expectations. I continue to have nothing but trust in Dita Von Teese's taste. 

I'm tempted to buy a bigger bottle. However, the longevity is a huge con. 

When testing fragrances, I spray them at the crook of my elbow. The friction and the heat truly test a perfume's longevity. From my experience, one spray of Scandalwood can last 1-3 hours, and 3 hours is being generous. They have two sizes (10ml and 15ml) that are great for on-the-go for touch-ups. 

Let's pretend you bring this to an 8-hour work shift; you'd have to touch up 4-5 times to keep the scent going. If you choose to wear this after work for a date/to go out, you'll need to reapply even more to get the desired strength/sillage. You're going to use up the fragrance QUICK. It's not worth the money.  The prices for 10, 15, 50, and 100 ml are as follows: 45, 65, 165, and 275 USD. 

Love that it's natural and skin-safe, but I want the best of both worlds: safe and reliable long-term.

Despite the longevity issues, I will recommend this to my sister. If you're also searching for a woody perfume, try Scandalwood

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!