FACE MASKS GALORE

I was against sheet masks for the longest time because I believed they were wasteful and unnecessary: having a good serum and routine with layers of hydration does the same job. Still have the same beliefs, but now I indulge a lot more than before, so I'm a massive hypocrite.


LINDSAY MUGWORT MODELING MASK (Big Bag)

Product claims: 

  • Cooling modeling mask calms irritation and purifies skin while delivering intense hydration.
  • Made entirely of natural botanical ingredients such as camellia leaf extract, aloe vera extract, and cactus extract.
  • Contains kaolin to draw out impurities in pores for clear skin.
  • Formulated without parabens and synthetic preservatives.

Enlarged and clogged pores are my main skin concern. One video online advised viewers to try modeling masks because they will help with pores by "cooling" and hydrating skin. The other possible soothing, anti-aging, or acne-fighting benefits depend on the mask's active ingredient. I felt better purchasing this over sheet masks because there's less waste. That said, after peeling the mask off my face, I threw it in the trash. At least it's water-soluble/biodegradable? That's my justification to help me sleep at night.

I rarely use this because of laziness: estimating the amount of powder to cover your entire face without excess, a specific water-to-powder ratio for the perfect consistency, and the technique to apply an even layer on your face without disrupting other areas. After using the mask, my skin feels more hydrated and cool. Pore size and clogging remain unchanged. This bag will last you a long time! It will also take a long time to ship to you. 

As for those unwilling to commit to the big bag, the brand also sells modeling clay cups that can be used at least three times. The downside is you need to dispense the powder into a different mixing bowl.


ISNTREE MUGWORT CALMING CLAY MASK

When one mugwort clay mask fails to help your pores, you try another. I have a list of other clay masks I want to try, but they are expensive for a wash-off product. I can justify other useless purchases, but not the clay masks. 

My skin doesn't feel dry after using this product. There is some grit, so there is also some physical exfoliation. Pores appeared smaller after use, but the clogged pores didn't budge an inch. This mask is much more convenient because I don't have to mix anything; I can squeeze some onto my finger and apply it to my face. My two issues are it was challenging to get a thick layer, and it smells like fish food. 


NUMBUZ:N NO.3 TINGLE-PORE SOFTENING SHEET MASK

This is an aggressive sheet mask. Your typical face mask is a relaxing and pampering experience; this face mask stings and smells like mosquito repellant (citronella.) There wasn't any tingling in the one place it mattered: my nose. I only noticed the burn on my upper lip. I hadn't waxed my upper lip in a while, so that's not the cause. I've never tried lip plumpers; I imagine it's a similar sensation.

After removing the mask, it feels like you rubbed VapoRub on your face: a cooling sensation on your skin that causes your eyes to water a little. Unfortunately, more pores looked the same. All that for no reason!


ISHIZAWA LABORATORIES KEANA NADESHIKO OKOME NO MASK


This product contains 100% Japanese Rice-derived ingredients: fermented rice for hydration, rice bran oil to plump, rice ceramides for skin barrier function, and rice bran extract to improve texture.

These masks are slightly less wasteful because each pack contains ten face masks. The material feels thicker and less flexible than other K-Beauty masks I've used, like the JMSolution Rose mask. The texture also feels coarser than their Korean counterparts. 

The mask could fit better. My ongoing issue with Asian beauty masks is the tiny nose patch! As a mask that targets the appearance of pores, the design needs to cover the problematic areas better. One day, I'd love to see a face mask with extra fabric for the nose that looks like pore strips. It's for all my fellow big-nosed/high-bridge/moon-face people out there! The eye holes are also small. The outermost eye corners of the mask poke at my eye. The mask rips like paper when you stretch it out to cover more of your face.

My skin feels incredibly moisturized after, and more pores look smaller because my skin is plump. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!