SKIN1004 HYALU-CICA WATER-FIT SUN SERUM SPF50+ PA++++ REVIEW + MAKE P:REM SUN ESSENCE & BOJ COMPARISON

I purchased a two-pack of the SKIN1004 sun serum on Stylvevana because the single cartons were on backorder, which was dumb, considering I never used it before. 

This sun serum is a non-nano chemical sunscreen that blocks UV rays while simultaneously hydrating the skin. Leaves skin with a moisturized, dewy finish. The hydrators are a combo of Centella Asiatica Extract and Hyaluronic Acids. You can read the full list on the brand's website. The only other ingredient "of note" is niacinamide. I only mention it because some people don't like/avoid niacinamide. 

SKIN1004 WATER-FIT SUN SERUM VS MAKE P:REM UV DEFENSE ME. DAILY SUN ESSENCE VS BEAUTY OF JOSEON RELIEF SUN

All three 50ml vegan chemical sunscreens do not leave a white cast, reapply well, and are reef-safe. I wanted to write they all have verified SPF coverage, but I couldn't find anything for SKIN1004. 

As for price, SKIN1004 is around $8, whereas the other two are about $15. SKIN1004 is the only one with a pump; the other two are squeeze tubes. Sadly, the pump makes it difficult to recycle. I used enough to have issues, but I foresee problems when it's about to be empty. The brand also doesn't market it to "dispense the right amount of sunscreen" either, so in retrospect, this isn't the smartest packaging. 

From lightest to heaviest would be Make P:REM, SKIN1004, then BOJ. 

  1. Make P:REM would be great for people with oilier skin types/all skin types. However, the dewy finish might enhance shine, depending on what other products you use and the climate. It has a slight sweet fig scent to it. The light texture is comfortable, but sometimes it was difficult to get an even layer because it's streaky, you have to really rub it in, and didn't work well with the comparatively oilier products I had under it. You don't have to worry about that if you're just wearing it alone, but that's unlikely. 
  2. SKIN1004 is for those who want something more moisturizing than the former sunscreen mentioned. Therefore, it'd be great for people with normal to combination and even dry skin. Its texture is richer and more emollient, but it's not heavy or oily on the face. It may work for oily dehydrated skin too. Haven't had any issues layering or applying it. 
    • More info on the layering issue. I had an issue with the sun essence when I used it with The Ordinary's Azaelic Acid and IUNIK Rose Tone-Up Cream. It was streaky, it settled in my pores weird, accentuated my pores, and clumped around my nose. I didn't have this issue when I layered SKIN1004.
  3. BOJ is my go-to sunscreen and the gold standard. When I review sunscreens, one criterion is whether or not it's better than BOJ. If I weren't curious about other sunscreens, it'd likely be the sunscreen I use for the rest of my life. It's slightly oilier than the other two, but it doesn't make me look greasy. My skin is on the dehydrated side, so I like the BOJ.

Does SKIN1004 beat BOJ? The formula is decent and great for days when I want something lighter, but the packaging turns me off from repurchasing. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!