GETTING MY BLACKHEADS/SEBACEOUS FILAMENTS UNDER CONTROL

Since I hit puberty, my nose has been plagued with "blackheads." I'm lucky to never have had severe acne, but my blackheads have always been the bane of my existence, and they still are. I remember using extracting tools, St. Ives apricot scrubs, and doing all types of damage to my nose that I'm trying to resolve now: redness, enlarged pores, capillary issues, etc.

During high school and college (2015-2022,) skincare became more popular, and information about it became more readily accessible. I learned that my so-called blackheads were actually sebaceous filaments; I wish the dermatologist diagnosed it sooner that one time I went. Sadly, you can't completely get rid of them. Curse you, skin!

Many skincare gurus and brands recommend using BHAs, which I've tried a lot to no success. I've tried a sample of Paula's Choice's 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, which didn't help, made my nose oilier/shinier, and had this weird rubbery texture on my skin. COSRX's BHA Blackhead Power Liquid, The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid, and The Ordinary's Salicylic Acid 2% Solution (I'm currently using this.) 

I've even tried Tretinoin through Curology. I tried getting it from my family doctor, but there was an issue with the insurance, pharmacy, and doctor. Tret helped minimize the appearance of pores, but I still had a lot of SF. Before using Curology, I also tried different retinol/vitamin A products from Differin, The Ordinary, Murad, and The INKEY list. 

In my continued pursuit to get my SF issue under control through blindly buying products, I noticed that my pores are less noticeable, and my SF has decreased—this is a qualitative assumption. I didn't take photos to compare; it may be all in my head/I'm just having a good skin day.

In the past, I would use a salicylic cleanser at night, then follow up with a BHA serum or a retinol. I was cycling actives at night and using gentle products to recover in the morning. Obviously, I also used sunscreen to protect myself. Sometimes, I would use a BHA in the morning, then a retinol at night. Again, I was cycling! I didn't notice any severe redness, irritation, etc. 

Recently, I've been incorporating more actives in the morning. I'm still cycling products, but I do this arbitrarily. The combo I've noticed that helped to improve the appearance of my skin is:

  1. A light hydrating layer. I'm currently using Isntree's TW-Real Bifida Ampoule. I don't have much to say about it. It's another hydrating step in my routine. 
  2. BHA Salicylic Acid 2% (TO)
  3. The Ordinary's Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%. Side note about the formula: the cream doesn't have enough slip to comfortably apply across the face, so the tugging is a huge con. It has a matte-silicone-like finish on the skin. 
  4. (Optional) If I want to brighten my complexion, I layer IUNIK's Rose Tone-Up Cream. It's streaky and leaves a bit of a white cast.

At night, I changed my retinol to Good Molecule's Gentle Retinol Cream, which has helped a bit. I'm still oil cleansing with Hada Labo, but I recently purchased two different first cleanse products, which I'll review in the future. 

I'm still trying to get my SF, as well as KP, under control. My body produces a lot of stuff in excess: sebum, keratin, and sweat, which is annoying. I noticed fewer clogs during different times of the month, which makes sense with hormonal shifts. 

Do you have SF? What products do you use, and which methods have you tried?

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!