LIP TINGLING SPF LIP BALMS | AQUAPHOR & JACK BLACK

It's summer, so I am extra diligent with sun care. I apply sunscreen on my face, neck, eyelids, and arms, but not my ears (I'm prone to ear infections.) Purchasing prescription sunglasses was already an upgrade, but I'm still overlooking something: my lips.

It's summertime, and after a full day of wearing my mask, I want to take it off when I walk home. Everywhere has protection but my lips. 

I'm no stranger to SPF lip balm. I've purchased two so far, and I don't like either of them.


I first purchased Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 in Black Tea & Blackberry. The scent is delicious, but my lips felt numb after using it. Thick, lip-numbing balm. Not numbing to the point where you can get lip injections after. 

Ingredients: Beeswax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, C 18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearol Stearate, Camellia Sinenesis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Flavor, Lanolin, Microcrystalline Wax, Ozokerite, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Polyglyceryl 3 Beeswax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate.

- Avobenzone 3%        - Octinoxate 7.5%        -Petrolatum 40.2%

I've searched online to see whether others experience the same thing, not specifically with this product, but with all SPF lip balms. I typed numb, tingling, etc. All that came up was to avoid lip balms containing mint, menthol, or salicylic acid. None of these balms contain those ingredients. 

I even questioned whether I'm allergic to lanolin (I'm not, which I figured out by using ANOTHER lanolin-based lip balm I had on hand.) I know I'm not allergic to petrolatum because I used Vaseline on my lips without issue.

The Jack Black lip balm was running low, so I purchased Aquaphor Lip Repair + Protect Broad Spectrum SPF 30. 

Ingredients: Petrolatum. Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Oxybenzone, C18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearoyl Stearate, Octyldodecanol, Glycerin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Panthenol, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax, C20-40 Alkyl Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Bht.

There is a tingly, warm sensation that feels like prickling needles, but it's not unbearable, doesn't feel like a lip plumper, and doesn't come immediately. It's weird that it only happens around the border of my lips. It's like when you get Mala oil on your lips. 

 Is anyone experiencing these issues?

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!