TAKING BETTER CARE OF MY BODY

Body care has always been an afterthought for me. Slap some lotion, occasionally exfoliate, and call it a day. I don't even shave my legs, though I should!

Aside from the KP and strawberry legs that's affected me for the longest time, I never noticed how dry my skin was getting, particularly my legs. I need to level up my body care and general self-care routine because sundress season is coming, and simply for my mental health's sake. 


1. NOW Solutions - Grapeseed Oil

I've run out of body lotion, so I've been using this oil. 

After learning Megan Fox uses Grapeseed Oil to stay moisturized and gorgeous, I had to buy it (not the same brand she uses.) The delusion of looking like Megan Fox made me use this product consistently. 

Grapeseed Oil is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. It has antioxidant properties, a high volume of omega-chain fatty acids, and vitamin E. From what I read: if you want to treat acne, make skin softer/more elastic, even skin tone, or protect your skin from sun damage, this oil [on paper] is a holy grail.

One bad thing about using oils is how messy it is. After moisturizing, I would watch Hunter X Hunter at my desk, but now both my computer and desk are greasy. I'm careful to use just a couple drops/enough to coat, but it's still too much. Despite its claims of being "fast-absorbing," it's not. It just sat on top of my skin.

Sadly, I can't forgo the lotion as intended because you need it for the moisture and the slip in conjunction with the oil.

One pro: because you're using just a couple of drops, you can use this bottle for a long time. 


2. Dove Crushed Macadamia & Rice Milk Body Polish

All the self-care Tik-Tokers and Youtubers convinced me to try this. I randomly picked the macadamia scent; I'm surprised at how similar it smells to Sol de Janeiro, albeit not long-lasting.

"Whipped, rich, and fragrant, Dove Body Polish nourishes your skin as it exfoliates... Made with a pH balanced, sulfate-free formula and naturally derived cleansers."

The "scrub" is made of hydrated silica, so it doesn't dissolve after touching the water.

I love the scent I bought; it's warm, nutty, vanilla-y, and perfect for the winter. The scents I want to try next are Pomegranate Seeds & Shea Butter, Crushed Cherries & Chia Milk, or Brown Sugar & Coconut Butter. I'm more inclined to the first two because they're both "moderate exfoliation," and the last is "deep." The moderate exfoliation is more than enough.


3. Exfoliating Gloves

I got this to exfoliate difficult areas. These gloves are difficult to slip on in the shower with wet hands. My nails get caught on the fabric, but I prefer finger gloves over a giant mitten because it's easier to use. 

After using this for a while, I won't be repurchasing due to the amount of waste and long-term cost. It's recommended to change gloves every 2-3 weeks. That's 14 pairs of gloves in the bin.

In the future, I might try Cetaphil Extra Gentle Daily Scrub to prep before waxes. 


4. I DO NOT RECOMMEND

So harsh! I purchased this several months ago; I rarely use it because I avoid it and forget about it. The exfoliation isn't even. For something so harsh, pointy, and abrasive, it's not great at exfoliating. I purchased this, hoping to fix the KP on my arms and legs, though all it did was cause redness. It's too large and rigid, which makes it bad for armpits. I felt like a scratching post for cats.


5. VERY WEIRD & REGRETFUL - Silicon Socks


After scrolling through Amazon finds videos on Youtube, I came across someone recommending silicon socks to transform dry, cracked feet. My heels aren't cracked, but the cuticles around my toe/skin under the nail are dry. I purchased this one Temu, along with the gloves, and I deeply regret getting this.

This is the link; the item ID is QK04603. Upon receiving and opening its packaging, I was greeted by an industrious plastic smell that the company attempted to cover with an artificial rose fragrance. This is bizarre because it's not supposed to be scented. The gel lining had these white beads of grease(?), which was revolting. Even after washing with hand soap, dish soap, AND laundry detergent, it was impossible to completely clean the greasiness from the socks.


6. Eucerin Daily Hydration Broad Spectrum SPF 30 

Shortly after I finished writing this post, I decided to purchase sunscreen, which was a great idea because it's 80 degrees in NY now. I apply this after work before I walk home. 

This sunscreen has a whipped texture that's easy to work into the skin. It's not oily or super tacky. It feels light and comfortable on the skin. If it wasn't for the smell, you wouldn't know you had put on sunscreen. 

Out of curiosity, I tried this on my face, and I don't hate it. No stinging around the eyes when applying, but it does burn a little when you wash your face. Very subtle white cast. No pilling. Just the slightest bit shiny and greasy looking.

I like the tube because I can carry it around easily. 

Future SPF purchases: 

  1. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Moisturizing Body Sunscreen Lotion With Broad Spectrum Spf 60
  2. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Non-Greasy Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 30
  3. Hempz Yuzu & Starfruit Daily Herbal Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Please recommend your favorite daily body sunscreen!

What is your favorite body care item and/or part of your body care routine?

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!