K-POP PERFUME | DPR

February 12, 2023

This title is deceiving because DPR, Dream Perfect Regime, isn't K-Pop; it's just a more convenient title for this series I'm testing because I still can't smell anything. Sometimes they work with K-Pop artists like Hwasa (Hula Hoops and I'm Bad Too,) Bobby (HOLUP! was directed by DPR Ian,) and Mino (Body was also directed by Ian.) Most of their music is rap, hip-hop, R&B, alternative, or many other genres. Multi-medium and multi-genre art is a good description of what they do. 

I first started listening to DPR Live during my senior year of high school (2018/2019) because I also started listening to K-Pop, R&B, and Hip-Hop. Now I'm working and still listen to them on occasion.

This is giving major Koreaboo vibes, and I am sorry. 

I distinctly remember replaying Laputa, Text Me, Martini Blue, Playlist, and Action! for the fun, upbeat vibes and great MVs. Their music is tied to my high school and early college memories, along with Dean. It's amazing how music and scent can represent a particular time in your life and transport you to that moment.

This post's purpose and possible posts in the future aren't a guide to how to smell like your favorite artists. That's not my intended purpose. I'm justifying it as "examining peoples' taste when they have money, or how their tastes reflect their [celebrity/presented] personality." A lot of disclaimers because I'm overthinking how creepy this post comes off. 

As always, the top, heart, and base notes are separated by periods.


DPR Live

This whole post started when Youtube recommended GQ's Friendship between DPR CREAM, LIVE and IAN is incredible. After watching that, Live's essentials video popped up again on my feed. Now that I am more knowledgeable about perfume, I immediately recognized the Tamburins bottle and had to rewatch it.

A majority of essentials are health and wellness or creativity/work related. Also learned that he's an INFJ, one of the rarest personality types! INFJs are idealistic, principled, innovative, ambitious, conscientious, etc.

The first fragrance he introduces is Tamburins' multi-fragrance, "But I Wouldn't Go Home Yet." Its notes are Angelica Root, Rich Lavender, and Even Tree Texture. I am surprised that "even tree texture" is a note. The brand describes it as a playful and unique harmony of fresh lavender and watery angelic root. It is both a room and fabric spray with a fine mist.

It was gifted to him, and he doesn't use it as much as this next Tom Ford perfume. Take this with a grain of salt because he taped up the packaging, so it's not confirmed, but I am confident with this guess. 

Fucking Fabulous: Lavender, Clary Sage. Leather, Bitter Almond, Vanilla. Orris. Leather, Tonka Bean, Cashmere, White Woods, Amber.

He says he was gifted many perfumes while on tour (that's the dream if you ask me—traveling and receiving perfumes as gifts,) but this *possible* fragrance earned him the most compliments. He also said, "This perfume is for days when I need a success rate... [or] when I want to feel good."

Once again, this is just an educated guess.

Muji Lavender Essential Oil. This isn't really a fragrance, but it can be. He dabs this on his pulse points before bed and falls asleep immediately. 

CAUTION: do not apply essential oils directly onto the skin because they are concentrated and may potentially cause skin irritation, especially on already broken and irritated skin. Dilute it before applying directly onto the skin, or purchase pre-diluted/skin-safe essential oils. Try using a diffuser (if you don't have pets) or pillow sprays for a similar effect.

I would suggest a new lavender fragrance, but there aren't any standout fragrances I can think of. If Phantom by Paco Rabanne had a less tacky bottle and more prominent lavender notes, I could recommend that because it's cozy with nice vanilla notes. YSL L'Homme EDP, from my memory, is lavender-forward but has terrible longevity, so not a great stage option. Santa Maria Novella Alba di Seoul also has the same issue. 


DPR Ian

While searching which Tom Ford fragrance Live uses, there were SO MANY TikToks about DPR Ian's perfume. Thank you to all the fangirls that screen-record his IG lives; y'all were a real help. 

-Louis Vuitton L’Immensité: Grapefruit, Ginger, Bergamot. Water Notes, Sage, Rosemary, Geranium. Ambroxan, Amber, Labdanum.

Ok, so he likes citrusy, aromatic, resinous/amber perfumes. 

-Giorgio Armani Si: Cassis. May Rose, Freesia. Vanilla, Patchouli, Woody Notes, Ambroxan.

Wait... When I learned Ian/Christian wears this, I was surprised. I've smelled a variation of Si before and it's very sweet. It also leans significantly more feminine than unisex. Not judging.


-Azzaro Wanted: Lemon, Ginger, Lavender, Mint. Apple, Juniper, Guatemalan Cardamom, Geranium. Tonka Bean, Amberwood, Haitian Vetiver.

Back to the citrus, aromatic, amber, and woody fragrances. This is a completely new cologne to me, and the design of the bottle reminds me of a revolver. 

Since he prefers sweet and woody scents, he should try Baccarat Rouge, but that's such a generic recommendation. No.09 Vallee de Farney by Maison Louis Marie has some notes in common with the three he mentioned; there are many aromatic, woody perfumes from the house, but nothing sweet. Kilian has a lot of sweet, woody perfumes, but I don't have any favorites. Black Phantom might be nice, in theory, with its chocolate and woody notes. He should check out their Cellars collection.

There are other members in DPR, but this post already feels creepy and intrusive enough. Plus, no one has said what they used. For other members of DPR, here are their socials if you want to follow them. Check out DPR Live, Ian, and Cream on whatever music-listening platform you use. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!