MAKE P:REM SOOTHING PHYSICAL SUNSCREEN UV DEFENSE ME REVIEW

My goodness, that's a long title! SEO should be at its peak with all those words.

There is one sunscreen filter, zinc oxide, which offers both UVA and UVB protection. It's unclear what percentage of the product is zinc oxide. (Yesstyle states it's 100% zinc oxide.) The brand/packaging states that its SPF claims (SPF 50+ PA++++) are verified. So, in theory, the formula should have at least 20% zinc oxide to be effective.

Along with zinc oxide, the formula has bamboo water/sap and Madecassoside for their hydration and soothing properties. It has other moisturizing ingredients like Fructan and Hyaluronic acid. Each tube has 50 ml. Depending on the vendor, the price ranges from $10-$30. 

Alcohol-free, fragrance/essential oil-free, cruelty-free/vegan, reef-safe/non-nano, and gluten-free. The latter two on the list come from the Amazon listing.

Review:

If you don't want to look like a greasy, glazed donut, physical sunscreens are the best, from my experience so far. 

Sure, you have to spend more time applying to prevent white cast, but looking matte pretty much all day is a big win for me. There's a heat wave in New York while I test this sunscreen, and it keeps me looking non-shiny, despite the heat and moisture, which I really appreciate. Thank you, UV defense me calming sun cream.

Unfortunately, despite its hydration claims, my skin feels dry and tight. Gone is my routine where I just wash my face and apply SPF. Even after using Benton's Snail Be High Content Skin and Isntree's Hyaluronic Acid Gel Cream, my skin still feels tight and dry.

That's something to consider when purchasing: dewy (potentially greasy or shiny) & hydrated, or matte & tight. 

Because of the drying effect, this sunscreen is better suited for those with [sensitive] combo or oily skin types. My skin is combo but leans more towards normal these days. Even my typically oily nose felt dried out with this sunscreen. 

I'm experiencing a white cast in direct sunlight; you can see a layer of white film on my face, which gives my face an ashy pink color. I applied about 3-5 pea-sized drops/the length of a finger to my face and really rubbed it in. Even after a couple hours, it still didn't settle. If you have a darker complexion, this may not work for you. Also, I have a little texture in my unibrow area, and this sunscreen emphasizes it. 

The "no white cast" claim is FALSE. I'm pale, and this sunscreen made me look ghostly.

It doesn't pill after reapplying, which is a plus. However, after about 5 hours with a mask on, I noticed the sunscreen began to pill and flake off. It also sometimes pills after initial application.

You need to double cleanse to properly clean this off, but that's obvious or routine for most people already. (I decided to shower before reapplying, was too lazy to double cleanse, just used cleanser, and saw residue clumping together after finishing showering.)

DOUBLE CLEANSE!

I hate this sunscreen. I thought it was decent at first, but I became increasingly irritated with it the longer I used it. I will be sticking with chemical sunscreens for the time being. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!