TOCCA DISCOVERY SET REVIEW PT. 1


I decided to purchase Tocca's discovery set, which is $24 on Sephora, because I liked one of their perfumes when I tried it two years ago. I didn't do any other research on the brand. I tried one scent in the past, and the bottle is kind of cute, so I took a leap of too much faith.

The standard size (1.7oz/50ml) comes in a stout, round glass bottle with a ribbed texture. It has a thick glass bottom. The lids have a raised floral/foliage design. It's VERY vintage-looking, which I am a fan of. Each standard size is $80, which isn't that expensive if you compare it to designer fragrances of the same size. I use pictures of the standard size because that's what's available and taking pictures of sample vials is difficult. 

Tocca's perfumes also come in a mini size, which has 20ml of perfume for $46.


Florence

Pear, Apple, Bergamot, Grapefruit Leaf
Gardenia, Tuberose, Jasmine, Violet Leaf, iris
Musk, White Woods

I get gardenia immediately and some jasmine. It's really musky and a little sweet because of the pear and apple. The muskiness at the end is heavy and smells unpleasant to me. They advertise it as Sophisticated, Romantic, and Timeless. I can see a refined woman in her 20s-30s that dresses in classy vintage pieces. It looks a bit awkward because she's new to the style. Another typical white floral fragrance. It smells better from a distance and has decent longevity. However, I find this fragrance incredibly nauseating. 


Stella

Blood Orange, Bitter Orange, Watery Notes
Lily, Freesia, Wild Orchid
Musk, Sandalwood

"Flirty, Sensual, and Spontaneous," aka an Orange Creamsicle with flowers. I disagree with their description and also find it kind of humorous. I expected it to be a lot bolder and more exciting. In reality, Stella thinks that staring at the person she likes, looking away quickly when she gets caught, and walking away immediately is incredibly flirty and the equivalent of second base. She thinks crop tops are sensual. Starting a new book while in the middle of another is spontaneous. She's trying to be that girl, but she isn't! It's creamy, citrusy, and has a delicate floral scent. I didn't expect it to be so sweet because of the blood orange and bitter orange, but it is. The perfume also has decent longevity. I enjoyed this scent. Sadly, the spritzer is broken. 


Giulietta

Granny Smith apple, Ylang-Ylang, pink tulip
Lilac, Lily-of-the-Valley, iris, Orchid, Rose
Musk, Heliotrope, Sandalwood, Amber, Virginia Cedar

"Feminine, Delicate, and Refreshing." I smell crisp apples and tulips with a warm vanilla-y and amber base. It's Cherry Blossom from Bath and Body Works. I really don't know what to say after that comment... Who are you trying to fool, Tocca?! I understand that many perfumes smell alike; I often use other perfumes to describe the one at hand. However, it's disappointing that Tocca is selling Cherry Blossom at a significantly higher price and for less product. I know Tocca isn't the only house guilty of this.


Maya

Black Currant, Violet Leaf
Iris Flower, Jasmine, Damask Rose
Patchouli, Oakmoss, Sandalwood

"Confident, Generous, and Distinctive." I disagree with how the brand describes it. I don't feel any more confident wearing this perfume. I don't think it's generous; I don't know how a fragrance would be generous. It's definitely not distinctive because I smelled this perfume before, but I can't recall what it reminds me of. It's a pleasant fragrance that's fresh, green, aquatic, sweet, and powdery. I think you'd like this perfume if you like cucumber perfumes. "Clean girls" who dress mainly in neutrals or light colors will enjoy this perfume. 


My ranking of the set:

I think Maya is my favorite of the four because it's sweet, refreshing, nostalgic, and clean. 

Despite all the insults thrown at Stella, I find this scent endearing because of its creamy citrus quality. She's your naive little sister that you give advice to and find amusing because she's kind of dumb.

The third is Giulietta because she's uninspiring and uninventive. 

In last place, which comes as a surprise to no one, is Florence. She's horrible. 


If you like sweet, basic, feminine floral scents, Tocca might be the brand for you. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!