LE LABO BAIE 19 REVIEW

Patchouli, Ozonic notes, Juniper Berries, Green Leaves, Musk, Ambroxan

Le Labo's Description:

Truth is…Baie 19 should have been called Water 19. Not that it smells like nothing (though nothing smells like it), but it has this crisp, wet, drenched effect that water gives to the earth after the rain...

And there’s a word for that, by the way: petrichor. It’s that magical feeling during heavy rain after a long dry spell, and it’s one of the most beautiful olfactive phenomena in nature.

There are many reasons for this, including the ozone in the air, the negative ions, but most importantly the release of oil secretions from certain plants, accumulated after a long dry period. This is what Baie 19 is about: the dry juniper berry, the patchouli, the green leaves... all soaked by a beautiful, luminous, magnetic rain after a long drought. And the joy that comes with it…

It smells like Rubber, Wood/Forest, Mint, Sunscreen, Earth.  

I do not like it; it doesn't suit me because it's more "masculine." 

It's supposed to be a [Juniper] berry scent, and I think I'm getting that. I've never smelled juniper before. It is described as bitter, pine-like, and fresh, which is coming through. 

I also smell the petrichor description. Petrichor is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

For me, petrichor is comforting, cool, liberating, and celebratory (an excitement when it finally rains/when the humidity breaks.) The mintiness of the fragrance conveys the coolness you feel when you breathe in the air. It smells like wet earth, but the sunscreen-like smell also suggests the sun coming out. 

The first time I tried this, it was super hot and humid, just about to rain, so I hated this fragrance. It smelled stifling, just like the weather. It reminded me of a rainforest in the tropics without the fruits.  

The weather was better the second time, but it's still not a pleasant fragrance. My mother smelled it on me and was not a fan. It doesn't suit me. 

If you like hiking, foraging, camping, fishing, skipping stones, and the outdoors/nature, you may like this fragrance. 

Comments

Follow my twitter for blog updates!